Archive One 9 Newest Feature: Document Redaction
- Start redacting by clicking Add Block. Resize and drag the redaction block to the information that you want to conceal.
- Once you are done, you have the option to either save the redacted version of the document in Archive One or download it directly.
- If you choose to save the redacted file in Archive One, the redacted version can be accessed in the same folder as the original version of the document. However, the redacted version’s filename will be the original filename appended with “_redacted”
Use Cases for Document Redaction
Legal Industry. Lawyers handle a huge amount of sensitive information that must be redacted. These may be:
- A client’s personally identifiable information (PII) like a name, date of birth, contact details, geographic information, IP address, biometric identifiers, etc.
- Privileged information protected under the attorney-client privilege.
- Confidential information that involves internal organizational strategy, intellectual property, trade secrets, or other protected information
What is Redaction?
Redaction means censoring a part of a file to hide sensitive, private, or confidential information contained within for security, legal or compliance purposes.
It is commonly used for medical forms, government documents, tax audits, and employment applications and HR files. Sensitive information can be stored in the original file version and is accessible only to those who are authorized to view it.
Benefits of Electronic Redaction through Archive One
- Reduces the time and effort required to conceal confidential information by eliminating the extra steps from manual redaction such as copying, printing, and filing.
- Ensure that the sensitive information is actually deleted and non-recoverable and not just visually hidden.
- Keeps the original document untampered by automatically generating another document version.
- Eliminates the need for separate application to perform the redaction.
How Archive One’s Electronic Redaction Feature Works
Redacting a document using Archive One involves the following steps:
- In the Document Browser, click on the document that you need to redact.
- A list of action items will appear on the sidebar on the right-hand side of your screen. Select Redact. A new tab will open with the Redaction tool.
- Choose the color of the redaction block. Click on the rectangular box above the menu items on the left-hand side of your screen and pick the color within the color picker dialogue box.
Government. The government has guidelines on the redaction and extraction of information before disclosing them to the public. This is to avoid the violation of the Data Privacy Act, Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards for Public Officials and Employees, privacy rights of individuals and existing laws, rules and regulations with respect to protection of information and disclosure of information.
These documents include official records, documents pertaining to official acts, transactions or decisions, as well as government research data used as basis for policy development. According to the Freedom of Information Memorandum Circular, redactions shall be made for the following:
- Mosaic Effect
This occurs when the information in an individual dataset, in isolation, may not pose a risk identifying an individual, but when combined with other available information, could pose such risk.
- Sensitive Personal Information
- An individual’s race, ethnic origin, marital status, age, color, and religious, philosophical, or political affiliations;
- An individual’s health, education, genetics or sexual life of a person, or to any proceeding for any offense committed or alleged to have been committed by such person, the disposal of such proceedings, or the sentence of any court in such proceedings;
- Issued by government agencies particular to an individual which includes, but not limited to, social security number, health records, licenses or its denials, suspension or revocation, and tax returns; and
- Specifically established by an executive order or an act of Congress to be kept classified.
Archive One is a document management software designed to help companies easily classify, store, secure, and retrieve essential company documents that are needed for retention and audits. With the help of our partners, we provide an end-to-end document management solution from scanning to document storage, at a highly competitive price.